Skip to main content

Reporting Academic Misconduct

If you suspect or know that a student has committed an academic offence, you must:

  1. Gather all supporting evidence and course documents (i.e., paper or assignment in question, evidence that clearly shows the plagiarism or cheating, syllabus, assignment instructions, etc.);
  2. If it is a group assignment, assess the case for each student;
  3. Check with the Academic Advising Office to confirm if this is a first case or repeat case.  (Please do not contact the Registrar’s Office [RO] for this information. Academic Advising will contact the RO.)
  4. Determine if it is a minor or major offence based on the weight of the assignment, the severity of the case and the student’s offence history.
    1. Is the assignment or test worth 25% or less of course grade?
    2. Is it the first offence for the student?
    3. Is it a final examination?
  5. If you answered “yes” to both (a) and (b) and “no” to (c), it is a lesser offence.
  6. If you answered “no” to (a) and/or (b) questions, or “yes” to (c), it is a major or more serious academic offence.
  7. Prepare a misconduct report form for the student(s) in question;
  8. If there is more than one student involved in the allegation (e.g., a group project), complete a separate form for each student.

IMPORTANT: Do not submit any grades for the student(s) until the investigation is complete and a decision has been made. If final grades are due, submit an incomplete (INC) grade for anyone with an outstanding misconduct case.

Get form to report a lesser academic offence [download Word doc to your computer]

Get form to report a major (more serious) academic offence [download Word doc to your computer]

The Academic Misconduct Process [opens in new window]